Tuesday, December 14, 2010

BrokenRail

So I’ve recently joined a new band called BrokenRail. The guys are all living in Auburn currently and we play “rock” music. I’d say the sound is similar to bands like: Nickelback, Alter Bridge, Creed, Theory of a Deadman…etc. The primary focus of the band is to write and record original songs and eventually get signed to a major record label. We have a 7 song “EP” out currently entitled “Welcome to the Escape.” You can find it on iTunes and other music download sites.

Although I have been primarily a guitarist over the last 10 years, I’m playing bass guitar for BrokenRail. I have enjoyed playing bass for a change of pace. I find that it is easier to relax on stage and enjoy the music. With bass I don’t really have to concentrate as hard, because it is easier to play. I have found that I am a pretty good bass player… maybe even better than I am at guitar.

Blake Clawson is the lead vocalist of the band, and Jacob Fine is the lead guitarist. Both are very talented. I thought I was a pretty good rock guitarist until I heard Jacob for the first time! The man can really get after it on lead guitar. Blake plays rhythm and sings, and he is very good with making connections and dealing with the business aspect of the band. We are currently seeking a full time drummer that matches our level of abilities.

Currently we are playing some shows here and there while we work on writing our first full album. We have been accepted by the award-winning producer Elvis Baskette to do our first album. Elvis has produced albums for many of the major rock bands. He is credited with the success of bands like: Chevelle, Incubus, Story of the Year, Three Days Grace, Eve 6, and just finished the new Alter Bridge album. He doesn’t usually agree to record unsigned bands, but he has agreed to record and produce our first full album. The only hang up is the money. Elvis requires about $50k for his time and efforts. So we are kind of in a holding period until we can either find a private investor or get a record company to back the album. Roadrunner Records has expressed interest in either signing us or backing the album with what is called a 360 deal. Only time will tell if we can make this happen or not. If we can get an album done with Elvis, we will be well on our way to a full time career in my opinion. Everything he touches turns to gold. While there are many bands out there that never “make it,” we at least have some open doors for an opportunity. Even if it isn’t meant to be, I have enjoyed the journey thus far.

If you want to help us out, you can go to http://signmeto.roadrunnerrecords.com and register to be a “scout.” Then you can find us on there and give our songs good ratings. This is a site that RoadRunner uses to find unsigned talent. We are currently sitting at #8 on their All Time Charts, and have been as high as #2. Also, if you have and extra $50k laying around that would work as well =)

While I have enjoyed playing with BrokenRail, I still play guitar with Josh for a few shows a month, and I play for the church youth group each Wednesday night. I also have been on a song-writing tear as of late, which has brought me great joy. I am happy with the mixture of types of music in my life right now. With BrokenRail I get the loud rock, with Josh, we play acoustics and play familiar cover tunes, and with the church band, I get to do my best “Edge” impression and play that famous U2 sound (which is my forte when it comes to playing lead guitar). With my song writing, I get to express myself, and my thoughts however it comes to me. I have been writing some songs that are country style, some that are rock, and others that more of a light rock/pop style. Whatever the mood strikes I guess.

While the hours are long, and all this playing can wear on me (my sleep schedule is all jacked up), I wouldn’t trade it for anything. It has been difficult to be on the go so much while holding down a full time job. But, so far I have managed it pretty well in my opinion. My wish is that I could do the band thing full time one day, and not have to worry with a “real job.” You know, “money for nothing, and the chicks for free.”

Nevertheless, my hopes are not set too high. I am in fact a realist (some would say a pessimist). “Making it” with a band is like winning the lottery. There are thousands of other bands out there that are just as good and many are probably better. Like anything, it is all about who you know and the connections you can make. Luckily, we have made some of those important connections already, but we shall see if anything comes of it.

1 comment:

  1. You'll are good. With a little luck, you've got a good chance.

    ReplyDelete