Wednesday, March 16, 2011

New Music to Check Out

I've been tired of the same old music lately, and have found a few new bands to enjoy. I thought I'd share my thoughts on a few of these bands.


The Civil Wars


Sometime last summer I was turned on to a band called “The Civil Wars” by a friend. Apparently they had a single that was used in an episode of the popular television show “Grey’s Anatomy.” The single is entitled “Poison & Wine.” I went on Youtube and watched the video for “Poison & Wine” and was immediately memorized by the simple yet powerful feeling invoked by the song. I did some Internet research and found their myspace page. I was shocked to find that they were a startup group that didn’t even have an album or website. They hail from Muscle Shoals, Alabama. The group consists of only two members: John Paul White and Joy Williams. They had a free live album download available. After listening to the full album I was hooked. I’m not sure I have ever heard a duo that sounds so perfect together. The vocal harmonies are astounding. The music is very simple for the most part. It has a southern Appalachian feel to it. Most songs consist of John Paul playing the acoustic guitar and the duo singing.

In February of this year, they finally released a full professionally recorded album entitled “Barton Hollow.” I recently downloaded it, even though it contained a lot of the same songs that were on the demo album that I already owned. I was pleasantly surprised by what they had done. I was expecting a more “Hollywood” full production, but the album stays true to the roots of the band. It is very straight forward and simple, yet emotionally provoking. The Civil Wars certainly aren’t for everybody, but for those that appreciate “quality” musicianship will enjoy the album. It is quite mellow and a bit dark to be honest. It is not for you if you like “happy” or pop music. However, if you want to hear some of the best vocal work in this modern music era, you should check them out.

American Bang

American Bang rocks! They are a total 180 from The Civil Wars. They have one self-titled album at the moment. They have a few songs that have charted already. “Whiskey Walk” and “Wild and Young” can both be heard on the radio. However, “Angels” is probably my favorite tune on the album. Also “Rewind” is a cool song. Their guitar work is exceptional, and the vocals are powerful, yet a breathe of fresh air. Lead singer Jaren Johnston has a unique rock voice. In an era where pop and country reign supreme, American Bang cranks the volume to eleven. I’m not sure who to compare them to. If you like to rock once and while, and want to hear something new, check them out.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE The Civil Wars - just discovered them a month or two ago!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you soooooooo much!!! A friend of mine posted the "Poison and Wine" video last year and I have not been able to remember who or what the song was since and I've been going crazy!!

    ReplyDelete