Sunday, August 22, 2010

Get By With a Little Help From My Friends

Someone mentioned the show “The Wonder Years” the other day in conversation. Honestly it really took me back to my childhood. I absolutely LOVED that show. A lot of people in my generation grew up watching that show among others. There was something special about The Wonder Years. Almost everyone could relate to the awkwardness and different situations that the characters went through. I have felt like Kevin many times in my life. I can especially remember being in “Middle School” and going through a lot of the same things that Kevin went through in the show. While would love to reminisce more about the show, that’s not what this post is ultimately about.

As I remembered the show, I got to think about the classic Joe Cocker theme song… “With a Little Help From My Friends.” It got me thinking about my current life situation. I have had some circumstances in my life recently that many people would find difficult to deal with. I won’t get into any specifics about the situations, but for a time I was really struggling with them. That’s when my friends really stepped up and supported me. So this post is really about thanking my friends. I am blessed to have a great family and a lot of friends that love me and care about me. I have had old friends that I haven’t kept up with very much step up and call me. Some friendships are like that. Sometimes you can even go years without talking to certain people and just pick back up right where you left off. I am grateful to have those types of friendships in my life.

I have also made an effort to meet new people lately and develop new friendships. I am not a very social person to be honest, but I feel like I have at least been making an effort lately. I have to say that it has been fun. When you meet new people and develop new relationships you sometimes get a different perspective on things. It can also help you to stay out of getting in a rut in your life. I feel like I have been in a rut for a long time. It’s hard not to when you are out of college and in the working world. However, now I am trying my best to “shake things up.” Spending time getting to know good people is a good thing.

So to all my friends, old and new, thank you for everything. And if anyone has “The Wonder Years” on DVD let me borrow it.

No comments:

Post a Comment